April 4, 2012

The Christianville Spirit: Texture Issues


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Opens Your Eyes
April 4, 2012-TCS # 294
So, For This Week’s Newsletter, I’m going to continue to help answer questions on PTLS. Now, This Question is actually another trademark to PTLS, just like the Lining-Up of Objects and Pacing back & forth. Anyway, This is something that effects more aspects of Life of kids with PTLS and that is Textures. Before I start, here’s My PTLS Disclaimer, Not ALL PTLS Kids have this particular Behavior. So, back to Texture Issues. Now, our issue with Texture is not just with Food, it can be Objects, or things that we hear about or see. As for me, I’ve had Texture and Appearance issues since I was younger. When I was Younger, I actually didn’t eat that much or many different foods because I didn’t like the way they appeared or the fact that it didn’t look good to me and I didn’t like the Texture of it. According to My Mom, I didn’t even eat the meat baby food when I was a baby, but I would the Fruits and Vegetables. As I got a little older, like in the Child Years, I loved to eat things like Mac N‘ Cheese, Grilled Cheese, Pasta, and Yogurt. In Fact, that was nearly all I ate until My Mom figured that she’d put something that I liked like Honey or Cheese, on top of a New Food and then, I would eat it. Also, when we’d go to this Mexican Restaurant named The El Norte which was down the street from our house back in the “Jeff Era”, one of them would get something that had a Texan Staple called, “Guacamole” or Avocado smashed together, every time I would start gagging because I didn’t like the Light Green color or it’s appearance because it reminded me of a putty called “Gak”, more on that in a minute. Anyway, after a while, I started gaining new foods to eat because I started to find them more appetizing that I did before. But, there are some foods that I still don’t eat like French Fries because they looked gross to me when I was younger. However, weirdly enough, I’ll eat French Fries if they had Cheese on top or as an alternative, I’ll try Sweet Potato Fries because they taste really good. So, back to the “Gak” thing, I don’t like it at all; I don’t like the appearance or even the sound of it, it makes me gag and get sick sometimes. The same thing goes with Silly String, Silly Putty, and Slime, all of them are tied together, I get the same feeling with all of them. Now, My Mom and Brother will tell you, the ultimate signs that I don’t like something is My “I’m Concerned about Something, Something’s Bothering Me, or I’m going to be Sick” expression on my face. You’ll know when this is happening because I start becoming quiet, being less talkative than I am usually am, and I do what My Mom calls, “Shutting Down.” So, the next time your child turns down eating a Food or being near an Object, check to see if it’s a Texture thing. All in all, Don’t worry about your kids not eating because they will eventually eat more than they do now.
Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. What we feel, taste, and see does make a difference.              

No comments: