January 30, 2019

The Christianville Spirit: My Fascination with Weather Extremes


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Knows Love
January 30th, 2019-TCS # 625

Stay Warm Out There, My Readers! Yes, My Readers, This is a Strange Greeting but, At This Moment, The Wind Chills in The States of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Even Ohio right now have Wind Chills of -30, -40, and In Minnesota -50. Yes, that is Right! Negative 30 in Indiana; Negative 40 in Chicago, Illinois as well as Toledo, Ohio and Cleveland, Ohio; and, Negative 50+ in The Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. Now, that maybe A Normal Winter to You. But, to Me, It Fascinates Me! You See, In addition to My Geography/History/Politics Mind mixed Together, I have always in My Life, had a Fascination with Weather. It was Fascinating to me, to see how a Funnel Cloud out of The Sky could literally reach the Ground and Cause Destruction. But, I find that Most of My Weather Fascinations occur in The Winter. Now, What is Funny about Winter and Weather in General, as I was talking to My Mom about it This Morning, People in Different Parts of The Country have what I call “Standards of Normal”. In Other Words, What gets The “Oh Wow! It’s Bad! Get The Bread and Milk!” Reaction and What gets The “Ehh! Typical (Insert Part of The Country Here) Weather”. For Example, In The Spring Time, whenever I hear that There will be Severe Storms; A Squall Line (Basically a Line of Storms that are Strong); Possible Hail and Possible Tornadoes, I would say “Ehh! Typical Texas Weather”. So, like Up North in Minnesota, Their Standard of Normal is like Being in an Icebox in The Winter, Meaning either Air Temperatures or Wind Chills are Well Below Zero F. Meanwhile, Standard of Normal here in Texas, is anywhere from 30 to 40 Degrees F in The Winter but, Anything below let’s say 25 is Going into The Weather Extreme Category and That is where The Fascination comes in. Weather Extremes! Now, Weather Extremes don’t happen in Texas as it does in Places like New England, The Northeast US, or The Mid-West. I have written Many Newsletters about My Weather Extreme Fascination. The First Time that I remember writing about a Weather Extreme Event was a Newsletter that was  an Email to My Veterans. Sorry, No Referring to Here! But, I do have a Segment of an Unwritten Newsletter that I mentioned about it. It read like This

This Newsletter Quote was Written on January 23rd of 2007 (Newsletter 25)
“Personal News: well, Today. Jan 23. was the 2nd anniversary of the Blizzard of 2005. The Blizzard of 2005 was an Nor’easter that struck the New England Coast from Connecticut to Boston. it 
dumped ALOT OF SNOW in Boston, MA as in up to 30 Inches!!!” 

Funny Thing, At The Time, I thought that was The Biggest Snowstorm that I have seen! To Me, 30 Inches of Snow was a Weather Extreme to be Fascinated with. Later in Life, I found that That is What People in The Northeast would call a Typical Nor’Eastah! 30 Inches was nothing to Them. They would be saying “Ehh! Typical New England Winter!”. Another Storm I wrote about was a Weather Extreme that I referred to as “The Snow Storm I’ll Never Forget”. This Time, It was not just about a Single Snowstorm but, A Bunch of Snowstorms in Something called “Lake Effect Snow”. To Me, It is a Fascinating Weather Extreme. To Locals, Lake Effect Snow is Typical in Central New York. But, I think with This Event, It even surprised Locals. I will let the Me from 2008 Explain! 
This Newsletter was written on February 15th of 2008 (Refer to Newsletter 92)
 I called it “The Lake Effect Snow Machine of 2007”. Well, Today I think of that title and say “That’s definitely not a good title” Why? Is because
A. “The Lake Effect Snow Machine” happens every year
B. Syracuse and that part of Central New York is part of what is called the “Snowbelt”
So, what else can I call it? Well, WSYR Channel 9 of Syracuse called “winter in a Week”. In fact, this so called “winter in a Week” was so bad that they had a special on their news about. Now, back to the name, what do I call it? I think I’ll call it 2 names; “Winter in a Week of February 2007” and “ The Snow I will Never Forget”. For those of you who don’t know what happened, I’ll tell you. In Central New York around the Syracuse Area, there was a Lake Effect storm unlike any other. According to WYSR Channel 9’s website, Lake Effect Snow Storm’s only last a day or too and dump a lot of snow in one area. But, This Time was different. So; on February 4, 2007 it started to snow and it snowed until February 11. In the end, it snowed 100+ inches in Parish and Mexico, New York. And, of course the highest amount was around 140 Inches in North Redfield, NY. Now, you’d like to know what “Lake Effect Snow” I’m going to tell you. Well, first off, it occurs in The Great Lakes Region in the winter (Until the lake gets frozen over). When the lake water is warm, there’s an area of Low Pressure, the winds are blowing toward land, it makes it snow hard usually in one area. And, that’s how Lake Effect Snow works

As You can see, My Weather Extreme Fascination was Peaked on Many Occasions including Right Now with The Wind Chills in The Mid-West being So Low! The Weather People say that It has Never been This Cold! Now, bering in Mind, Sometimes, Weather People blow things out of Proportion but, at The Time, when They do, My Weather Extreme Fascination Peaks and I Start Researching, Watching, and Obsessing about It and How Cool I think it is that XYZ Event is Happening and Who it is effecting. It makes me wonder How it would feel to be in that type of Weather. All in all, No Matter where We live, We have different definition of What a Weather Extreme is.



Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. If You are in This Weather Extreme, Stay Warm!

No comments: