January 8, 2014

The Christianville Spirit: Work-Assessment Day







The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Uplifts Your Soul
January 8, 2014-TCS # 384

 So, Yesterday was a Very Interesting Day for Me. You See, For about a Year, My Mom and I have gotten involved with a Non-Profit Organization called Life Path Systems. This Non-Profit helps People with Special Needs get Services like Respite Care (To give My Mom, so “Mom Time” and Give me someone to do something with), Therapies (Mainly Speech) and Job Training (Which helps People get a Job via “Supportive Employment”) as well as Many other Services but, Those are The Ones that I need. So, with that said, Getting a Job via “Supportive Employment” requires different assessments that The State requires. It is pretty much a Three Segment Process that The SE Provider helps you with. So, Anyway, Yesterday was Interesting because I had to do something called a “Phone Assessment” which shows how well (or Not Well) You are with Answering Phones at an Office. So, They had Me come over to “Life Path” and Have Me answer The Phone for a few hours. I was Very Nervous because I wasn’t sure what would happen (We PTLSers Love and NEED Predictability to Function). So, My Provider, Mary had me watch the process of (or Rather, Art) of Answering Phones at Life Path. After a Few Calls that I watched, It was My Turn. At This Point, I wish I had My little Heart Monitor that I got for My Birthday, so I could see where it is, I was that Nervous. I mean, not obsessively sweating nervous but, Slightly Uncomfortable Nervous. Mary had me put on The Headset (which was probably easier) and when a Call came in, I was to Press the “Headset” button and say, “Life Path Systems, This is Christian, How may I help you?” and They would say Who they would like to talk to and I had to click “Transfer” and Enter a 4-Digit Extension, Before saying, “Let Me Transfer You.” After That, I had Press the “Headset” Button to turn it out. A Couple Times, The Callers saying the Person’s Name wasn’t clear or I thought it was something else and It made it difficult. Some Calls were Simple to handle and Other Calls were a Bit Confusing, although a Few People were Short with Me and I didn’t like that. One Person called from inside the office (which only use Extensions) and without a Second Thought, I answered differently as “Front Desk, This is Christian, How May I Help You” and They called looking for Mary, who was sitting near Me. In My Head, I thought, “She is Right Here” but, I went with the same rule as always and I kindof Laughed inside (and, Partly out loud) as I transferred them because I thought, “I’m going to Transfer You, but, I know She will not answer because She is up here.” My Final Test came after My Mom came to pick me up and She was sitting, waiting until I got done. A Mom of One of the Employees came in and asked for Me to call the Employee. So, I pressed the Headset Button and Dialed the Extension and told them, “This is Christian, From The Front Desk, Someone is Here to See You” and They responded, “Okay”, The Mom adding “Tell them that Their Mother is here to see them” and I repeated and the Person came out of The Office to see her. So, It was a Fun Time helping out doing that. And, I realized that if I wanted to work as an “Office Assistant” answering the phones would be a part of My Duty. All in all, I realized that Answering the Phones is quite an Art Form and luckily, it was a Slow Day. But, I can’t imagine doing that at a Doctor’s Office, Lawyers, and for a Magazine Editor (If You have seen The Movie, 13 Going on 30, You would get that Movie Reference!)


Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Remember to be kind to The Person on the Other End of The Line, You never know how it could be!






   

No comments: