January 22, 2014

The Christianville Spirit: Job Shadowing DART


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Uplifts Your Soul
January 22, 2014-TCS # 386

So, I had a Fun and Interesting Day Yesterday, It was a Part of The Process of Supportive Employment which is “Exploration.” For Those who Do Not Know what “Supportive Employment” is; It is a Service provided by Your State’s Department of Disability & Rehabilitative Services, Here in Texas it’s called DARS for Short. Anyway, In order to get services, You have to Sign Up and Be put on a Waiting List so, The Earlier You Sign Up, The Better. Anyway, One of the many services that They offer is called “Supportive Employment,” meaning that They assign  Someone to You, to see what You are interested in and then, Go through the Process of Getting You a Job. Part of That Process is called “Job Shadowing” (Which I take as a Fancy Term for “Observing and Asking Questions”) and That bring me to Yesterday. So, Mary (The SE Person, I’ve mentioned her before) took me to Downtown Dallas to “Job Shadow” at DART which is Our Transit System. Anyway, We walked in and I got to see how DART works. We met The Supervisor, Trinidad who took us through the Call Center where People answered questions about Trip Planning and How to get from One Point to Another. It was Quite Interesting to watch them as we walked into one of The Meeting Rooms. Once we walked into one of The Meeting Rooms, We met Celia, who was our guide to showing us what DART was about. She showed us all the different things happening at DART like Their Website and How they Plan Trips using both The DART System as well as My Favorite, Google Maps. Without a flinch, Questions, Observations, and Amazements started jumping out! I had to slow myself down because I didn’t want to Interrupt them while They were explaining things to Me. I learned quite a bit of Things I did not know. For Example, If you are on a Train and You see something odd going on, You can text “DARTPolice” along with Details on Where you are at and What is happening to DART and They will send police to The Train or Location. As well, You can text the Number that is on The Bus Stop sign, “The Stop ID Number” as They call it and they can tell you where you are at and if you are going on the Right Bus. Also, there is a New Bus Line called “The D-Link” that goes around all the different hot spots of Dallas, sort of like a Hop on-Hop off kind of thing. And, The Best Part is that it is Free. Finally, You can buy a Weeks Worth of Train Passes on Your Phone or Smart Phone. The Thing that Most Fascinated Me for Some Reason was “The D-Link” because it made me think of a Local Tour Bus, only using DART. Anyway, Celia explained all about The Jobs and Training that is required in the Call Center, which are either “Customer Service” or “Customer Care.” Customer Service are those that answer the phones and help people either plan Their Trip or Try to figure out how to get somewhere. then, Customer Care, is where they handle all the complaints, concerns, or suggestions. I found out as Celia was showing some of The Job openings, Is that in Order to be in the Customer Service Call Center, You have be able to work under pressure and be able to Work in a Stressful Environment as well working 8 Hour Days during The Week and Long Hours during The Weekend as well, so that pretty much killed the chance of working there, as well as it being a Full Time Job, and I would be better off doing Part Time because we PTLSers tire out easier than Most People. Also, I would not do well working in a Stressful Environment because It would be hard to Concentrate. Anyway though, After The Presentation with Celia, Trinidad showed us around The Call Center and We got to see The Lost and Found, and That was really cool to see some of The Things that People accidentally leave on The Train or Busses. And, If things are not found within 30 Days (I think), then It is given to Charity. After that was The End of The Tour, I thanked both Trinidad and Celia for showing me around and it was an Honor to Me, for them to show me around a place like that because usually No one else but Employees, get to see that. I must admit that I taught Mary as well as Trinidad and Celia some of the things that I know about Traveling. I even gave them an idea that They thought was Wonderful. It had to deal with One of the New Toll Road in Dallas (I-635’s TeXpress Lanes) and DART putting a Bus on it. All in all, It was a Great Time that I had and It was an Honor to see the Inner Workings of DART.


Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Never Underestimate What You Can Do!    





No comments: