August 1, 2012

The Christianville Spirit: The London Olympics


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Opens Your Eyes
August 1, 2012-TCS # 311
So, There is an event that is happening that always gets me excited. You See, Every 4 Years, based on hundreds of years of tradition, comes The Summer Olympic Games. For those who don’t how deep the tradition is, it started in 1896 in Athens, Greece. However, it wasn’t held to such magnitude as it does now. It started as a couple games being played for the King in honor of the Greek Gods. However, nowadays it has turned into the an elaborate show for all The World to see and that’s just talking about the Opening & Closing Ceremony. In between the Opening & Closing Ceremony are many different events including Swimming, Gymnastics, Track, Canoeing, and the list goes on.. However, My Favorite Parts are some of the sports but, most importantly The Opening and Closing Ceremony. I Love the Opening the most though because it fascinates me that people from all parts of The World come to one place to compete and be at peace for 2 weeks during The Olympics. For this year’s Olympics in London, My Fascination was (and, always is) seeing what the people of each country look like and this year it just happened to be not only the people but, the outfits, they were wearing. To Me, it says alot about that Country’s culture, in what they wear or in those countries where it’s more strict, what their allowed to wear. To example, in many arab countries, like Saudi Arabia (They let women compete this year for the first time), Jordan, Palestinian Territories (Locally known as “Palestine” and Known Worldly as “The West Bank”), and Iran; just to name a few, have to wear garb that covers their hair and body; and, in some countries, most of their face as well. But, what I love about the outfits is creativeness that represents the country. Some countries like many African Countries with a very decorative garb and some countries went with a plain shirt that has the National Colors, like Sweden or Just a shirt with the letter N on it, for Norway, respectively.  Then, of course, there is as I have been mentioning, “The Parade of Nations”; some of them make you cheer, be quiet, or make you wonder, “Where in The World is that country?!” It happened to me a couple times like trying to remember what group of countries were part of what was Yugoslavia. Now, as My Mom will tell you, it didn’t go without a Geography Lesson that both made her head hurt or make her brain want to explode. The Reason why is Because she says that learning Geography from me is like her teaching Medical Terms and Anatomy to me. Anyway, another part I like about the Opening Ceremony is the performance leading to the Parade of Nations. Sometimes, though, it’s a little hard to understand some of the performances depending on the Host Country. Without spoiling London’s ceremony, I’ll just say this; it was Interesting, at some times very funny, other times a little creepy, but all good though. As for comparing it to Beijing, I’ll put it this way, It’s not fair to any host country or city to live up to Beijing. A couple comments on the Host City; for the condition of just how horrible the traffic of the city is (or so, I’ve heard, I haven’t been) and the lack of freeways or large roads through the city, The City of London & The London Committee did a VERY Good Job in preparing for these games and contrary to what Mitt Romney says, I’m very proud of Londoners and Their Committee of preparing them so well. Believe me, from what I know about London, it’s not easy to do that. Anyway, I could go on and on about The Olympics and How much I love it and why; but, All in all, I just love that People around The World come to win Gold, Silver, or Bronze in their own sport. By The Way, a shout out to The USA’s own Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin, and Jordyn Wieber for doing so well and Good Luck also to Everyone Else, your doing an awesome job.
Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. We are all Champions of something wether we are in sports or not, We’re all Champions!                      

No comments: