August 8, 2012

The Christianville Spirit: A Ride on a Train


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Opens Your Eyes
August 8, 2012-TCS # 312

So, nearly every weekend, My Mom and I like to go on Drives or do some kind of adventure, like ride a train. You See, going on Drives is one of my favorite things to do because I love to see new road signs, new roads, new neighborhoods, or just a scenic drive somewhere. So, what My Mom and I did this past weekend is no surprise. So, the Light Rail System here in Dallas is called DART, by the way DART means, Dallas Area Rapid Transit. Anyway, DART has recently come up with a new line called the “Orange Line.” The “Orange Line”, only in peak hours of the week, goes from Parker Road in Plano to Irving Convention Center (which is on the West side of Dallas, toward the Airport), however during non-peak hours it starts at LBJ(Lyndon B. Johnson) Freeway, known locally as LBJ or 635 and goes to the same place. Anyway, so My Mom and I drove down to Mockingbird Station instead to pick up the Orange Line and rode all the way to Irving. It is really fun for me to ride this train and many others, I love it because you get to see what places look like and to see the ongoings of where you are. I love looking at the street lights and signs to see where you are and what they look like (the font used, the appearance, the style that particular city uses, and what color they used) and, so you can see where you are on a map. Sometimes, it’s interesting to watch the people and to see who’s coming and going. The DART Orange Line though, hasn’t been the only line I’ve ridden on. I also rode the Red Line many times before and at one time, My Mom and I rode it all the way up and all the way down, from Parker Road to Westmoreland (which is on the South side of Dallas). Anyway, back to the Orange Line, it’s a well-known line, or at least it’s going to be, because in the near-future it’s going to go all the way to DFW Airport. The reason is because, as I told My Mom, “It would be a nice tour of the city” because along it passes by a lot of the places people want to see in Dallas. So, I’ll give you a tour, it runs though Las Colinas (where you can see the running cattle and longhorns statues) after that, you run past what was Texas Stadium and have a wonderful view of Downtown Dallas afterwords. Next, as you get closer to Downtown, you see the American Airlines Center (where the Dallas Mavericks play) after that come the Historic West End, which has many different places to Eat and Shop. And, it’s not too far from the 6th Floor Museum and JFK Memorial. After West End, As it goes through Downtown Dallas, you get to see all the really cool shaped buildings with Statues and Fountains and all the very interesting people. Following that, it goes through a tunnel and stops at “Cityplace Station” where you can hop off and ride the “M-Line Trolley” which is an old-fashioned trolley that runs along Historic McKinney Ave. into the Awesome Arts District.  After your done with that, hop back on the DART line and continue to Mockingbird Station, there’s a lot of shopping you can do there and a cool movie theater. finally, wrapping it up with riding the Red Line to Plano or Blue Line to Garland. When I went to The PTLS Conference in Houston, I got to ride the “MetroRail” line from Texas Medical Center to Downtown Houston, that was also wonderful to see everything that they had along it. For example, in Houston, “Midtown” is south of Downtown Houston instead of north like Dallas and Atlanta. The coolest thing about Houston’s MetroRail line was that it runs in the middle of the street in many places, whereas most run on a railroad track separate from the street. I’ve also been on the Metro in Washington D.C and the Northwest Line of the MARTA in Atlanta. All in all, I’ve been on many different rail lines in different cities and it’s all exciting to me.



Thanks to Reading The Christianville Spirit. Take a Drive one day and check out what’s in your town.   

No comments: