September 7, 2011

The Christianville Spirit: The Most Welcoming Countries to those with Special Needs


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Sparks Your Heart
September 7, 2011- TCS # 265
So, as most of you know, I’m what I call a Geography Lover; So, it shouldn’t be a surprise when I write what I’m going to tell you. You See, being a Geography Lover also means (at least for me) that you like statistics about a country’s progress, developing, and how it treats it’s citizens. I enjoy Stats just like most men enjoy Stats about  Baseball or Football. But, the Stats I like are more like, which country’s people are happiest, the most developed, most peaceful, and now for My own reference, The Countries that are most receptive to People with Special Needs. Now, I know that the word, “Receptive” is the statistical term for it, but there’s something about that word that I don’t like because to me it sounds like that country is forced to like or are paid to be interviewed for the list to say “yes” to being “Receptive” to People with Special Needs so they get a good rating. So, I would like more, the word “Kind or Welcoming” to us. Anyway, This list that I found as a Gallup Interview that interviewed around 100 people in 112 countries, came up with a list of Countries that are The Most Welcoming to People with Special Needs. Now, I bet your asking “Why should I (The Reader) or You (Christian) care about that?” Well, I care because it gives me many ideas. You See, If I ever wanted to visit or move to another country for something different, I’d want to know if that country would be for My Benefit and how well they would handle or take to me. Most Parents with anyone with Special Needs should at least take a look at the list to see the country your visiting, moving to, or living in think about People with Special Needs. This is important because as a parent or child, you’ll want to know how easy or hard it is to get a job; how general people will accept you; How the doctors will treat you or if your diagnosed with something, label you; and, lastly, how people will handle you, if you have a problem you need the answer to. Of Course, For those in a wheelchair, it’s even more important because how high (which is good on the list) or low on the list the country is tells you how the accessibility is for that area and good luck if you are in low accessibility country. As a person with Special Needs, I want to feel included and accepted in the society. I shouldn’t have to live in a Place that doesn’t accept me, care about me, or makes it difficult to live in peace and in happiness. Even in My own Country, I have to struggle with this sometimes. So, I compared My Favorite Countries to those on the list, I found that My Favorite Country, Norway didn’t even make the list which really frustrated me because it’s the best country.    The first on the list was The Netherlands, followed by Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Canada, Denmark/Sweden(tied), Ireland, and The US in that order. All in all,  It’s Important how people are treated in societies around the world, especially those with Special Needs.
Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Be part of The Solution not The Problem. Welcome Everyone to your society.

No comments: