January 25, 2017

The Christianville Spirit: Fear of Difference



The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Makes You Wonder
January 25th, 2017-TCS # 530

Howdy, My Readers! That is Texan for Hello. So, Whenever The Late Joan Rivers wanted to talk about something deep and meaningful, She was always say “Let’s Talk”. So, “Let’s Talk”. So, It really bothers me to say this but There is a lot of Hate going around across Everyone and Across The World. Blame it on The World Leaders, The New US President, or A Certain Group of People, but I would rather not. I blame it on Something that is NOT Political nor should it be. Really, It should fascinating as to Why. So, Why exactly? Because of Something called Fear. As in Fear of either another Person or Culture. Now, Fear comes in Many Ways. I hate to Watch Scary Movies, More because of Distress than Fear. You can be afraid of People of Special Needs too, believe it or not. I am not because I have Special Needs.
 Although, In High School, There was a Girl in a Wheel Chair that was, To Say The Least, Overweight, but It was because She had a Special Need called Pica, Meaning that They eat Everything and Anything, They can’t help it. Imagine that, Any Time You went Anywhere, You saw Something that You just wanted to Eat, even if It was not Food. Annyway, People including of My Friends, ridiculed her, Not having a Clue why She was Overweight, for all They knew, She was Fat (Pardon The Expression). Yes, Even I looked at Her a lot wondering Why She looked that way and I was afraid to talk to Her because of a Fear of Myself being Ridiculed. Eventually, I did get up The Nerve to talk to Her and Ask her why in The World as She like that. “Pica” She told me, It took a while for Me to figure it out but, I did not care. She and I actually became Good Friends and I would help Her with Anything that She needed. So, Yeah, Fear happens to Everyone. 
 The Biggest Fear that I feel that People have, are those of Different Cultures. Why? Well, Because of The Word, Foreign. They are Foreign, as in Not like Us. Not like Us, meaning Americans, Canadians, Europeans, and Yes, even The Group of People who We are Fearing in The First Place! We are as Scared of Them, as They are of Us. I bet That Girl I mentioned was afraid of Me coming to talk to Her and She did not know if I was going to be Supportive and Curious, or Mean and Hateful, You don’t know. You just hope for The Best. Perhaps The Reason of Fear is that We are Afraid, but at The Same Time, Curious. But, Too Afraid to ask. So, Who are You afraid of? That Brings me to the other Reason of Fear, Stereotype. Yes, Some Stereotypes are Funny because You know that Most of Them are True. 
So, Let’s do a Quick Tour of The Curious World (without Fear). So, The Top Fear of Americans would be those who seem to be Different. Whether They eat or don’t eat Certain Foods, Drink Alcohol or not, Dress and/or Look a Certain Way, Skinny or Overweight, Short or Tall. Now, Yes, There are “Bad Apples” everywhere. but, Not All People are Bad. So, Being a Worldly Person, I am trying to learn about Different Cultures, What makes us The Same and What makes us Different.
 What do I know and/or Curious about, a lot of Things, What I do know is The Media tends to stir up Fear. What I want is for People to Love each other and The World at Peace.  That Fear barrier is there for Many People. Now, That Reason Why, at least, for Me is that I would not want to ask a Question about Why People do XYZ and They get Offended. Truth is, like I said, They are as Scared of Offending Us as We are Them. It makes me wonder, What it is it about Us that They find Odd. My Guess, Our Food and Large Meals maybe? 
We have Fears but, Really it is that We are Curious about Other Cultures and Different People like for Example; I have always been curious about My Friends from India.

So, India; They have Tech Support, Bollywood (Which is an Indian Version of “Hollywood”), and Pre-Arranged Marriages. Very Interesting! But, The Things that I feel that Indians would want you to know the most is that They hold the Animal known as The Cow Sacred. And Yes, in High School, for Geography Class, We once Watched a Bollywood Movie to see what It was like and One of My Friends made us Vegetable Curry which was Really Good.
Indians, I feel, like Their Movies to be Ceremonial with Lots of Dancing. Their Weddings are Very Much like that. Now, again, I love to know about Why They hold The Cow sacred or The Dancing in The Movies. Also, Answer them as to What They would want to know about Our Culture. Exchange of Differences, Makes Great Friends. Although, not all The Time. But, You hope that it does! 
The Next Country is Thailand. Now, I am not afraid of Thailand because I want to see it personally. What I know about Thailand is that They have Great Food, Thai Royalty is a Big Deal, and Buddhism is the Religion of The Country. The Oddest Thing that I have heard that They do is that They have Festival which They feel that in order to Connect with Some of The Buddhist Gods, They stick objects in their Faces and Lips. It can get rather graphic but, They believe that that is a Way to Connect to Their Gods. Not that I would want to see it in Person but, I would be curious about Why They do that. I hope to One Day visit Thailand and to see all The Culture that They have there. 
And, Finally, We end Our Short World Tour with Asia in General. Japan is Very Technologically Advanced; South Korea is too, They have Interesting Food there to say the least. Not sure if There is much fear about Asia.
All in all, It is all about The Way You see things and Whether You let that Fear control how You see The World. So, Embrace The Good Differences of The World and Don’t be Afraid to ask Someone who is Different than You a Question about Their Culture, Appearance, or Yes, even if they have Special Needs. Just Love!


Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Wrap Your Arms around The World. Love Everyone!

No comments: