January 28, 2015

The Christianville Spirit: Me on Anxiety



The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Sparkles
January 28, 2015-TCS # 435

So, My Readers, I want to tell you about a Common Problem that Us PTLSers have and One that I honestly Hate. It is called Anxiety, or at least that is the More Complex Term. Nervousness is a More General Term. We PTLSers experience Anxiety often, I think it is just part of it. Sometimes, We get Anxious about Worthy Things like Things that May Harm Us like Most People But, Most of The Time, We get Anxious about Things that might be a Bit Weird to The Typical Person. Like Trying New Things, (In Some Cases) Meeting New People; Big Changes in Routine; Being Overwhelmed with Too Much Noise or Too Much Activity; Different Substances and Textures (Mainly Gooey Textures); and finally, Little Things, like for Little Kids, Baths, Toilets, and Water. The Little Anxieties, We will call those Irrational Fears that come and go. I course, Get Anxious about Those Things and Of Course, Going to The Doctor and Most of All, Needles. I know that Needles is common one, but there are people who don’t mind Needles. I believe that The Most Common of Mine are Doctors; Being Overwhelmed with Too Much Noise or Activity (The “Great Wolf Lodge Adventure” with My Dad was Certainly an Example of That); Doing New Things (Once I do them, I am Okay); Routine is Very Important but I am a bit bendable with that one as long as It isn’t too Extreme; People and Animals in Distress (Exactly why I don’t watch Horror Movies!); Babies Crying; and, Finally, Gooey Substances. This One is The Biggest Trouble for Me. You See, There used to a Toy back in The 90’s called Nickelodeon Gak (It turns My Stomach to even say it, So I refer to it as “The G-Word”), It makes My Stomach Turn just thinking about it! In Summery, It is a more Slippery Version of Silly Putty, or at least, that is what I have been told. When I was Growing Up, they had “Nickelodeon Stores” across The Country, I avoided them like The Plague. I only stepped into one because My Dad wanted to check it out, I digress. Anyway, I did not or Still Do Not like Gooey Substances which includes Gak, Silly Putty, Silly String, or Any Substance that Looks Like It! Here in Texas, at Any Mexican Restaurant, We have what is called “Guacamole”, which to Non-Texans, is Mashed Avocado. I Hated Looking at it because in My Childhood Mind, It associated with “The G-Word” because it was Green and so is “The G-Word.” Today, I am a bit more Lenient about it but, It is not My Favorite Thing to Look at. The Worse Episode that I had was when I had My Braces taken off. So, after They took My Braces off officially, I was so Excited! But, It went away pretty quickly when They told me that I had to have My Retainer Done. Sorry Kids, but Here comes a Spoiler! SPOILER ALERT! In order to Mold Your Retainer, They use a Very Gooey Mold to put in Your Teeth to make Your Retainer. Unfortunately, It has to go in your mouth right then because It will get hard very quickly. Well, Long Story Short, It went in, I gagged horribly (Threw Up My Lunch), and Done. I didn’t learn that I was supposed to Wear them Every Day, I didn’t. In it went again, I believe this happened 3 Times before I learned about This. I learned in The End to put The Retainer with all the slobber in it, facing down, not up. Otherwise, You will find your slobber pooled in It which is Why I didn’t wear them the first time! This Whole Gooey Substance Thing also makes me worry about My Future Love Life. Like Touching Private Parts of My Spouse and Making Love to Her. Also, Thinking about Getting Married makes me Very Anxious. Anyway, Moving On, so How do You know when I am Anxious? and How do I calm Myself?, I am sure you are asking? Well, with The Substance Thing, I have a “Look” on My Face as My Mom likes to say. It is The Look that Says, “I’m about to be Sick Face” and Other Times, It is The “I’m Concerned” Look. My Mom also says that I often scan people for Their Body Language. It helps me to predict what might be happening and it calms My Anxiety. I know that A lot of Other PTLSers, Scream or Cry (Which I will admit, that I too did) Well, at least, The Crying Thing. Gagging, that can be a Sign too of Nervousness. Gagging happens when I don’t like the Texture or Appearance of Food, or Gooey Substances. I often get Quiet when I am Nervous when I am Normally Talkative. I start to get sweaty and My Hands Sweat also. I get a Little Self-Conscious when I have to hold someone’s hand either Romantically or not. 
 So, Now to How do I calm Myself? Well, I have never admitted this, but, Sometimes it helps me to a Hug a Pillow and I have One Big Pillow that I hug. Now, I don’t only hug it when I am Anxious but, I like the Texture of it. My Mom points out that I hug a Pillow everywhere I go. Maybe it is a Positive Texture Thing. One Time when I had to go to The Dentist to have a Root Canal, It helped that I had a TV above Me (with CNN on) to Watch. It helped majorly to tell me that They did not need to give me shot. The Tooth was Dead anyway. When I was Overwhelmed from The “Great Wolf Lodge Adventure”, it helped when I listened to Soft Music. I figured since I loved Geography and I remembered that New Zealand’s National Anthem sung by a Nice Singer with a Ukelele so, that is what I chose to help calm me down. Talking to My Mom certainly helps and having her hugs is a Bonus. Hugging My Dogs helps a lot too because They understand. Now, I do have to say that, Yes I have tried the Anxiety Medication route. But, that turned into an Epic Failure because after I took it, My Head felt sleepy, airy, and it buzzed. I asked My Mom, “Is This what it feels like to be Drunk?” and She said Yes. It turned to be an Epic Failure because The “Drunkenness” Feeling, only made me more Anxious. If Your Child is Anxious about Something, namely Too Much Activity or Noise, Too Much Stimulation, than Pull Them Out and Give them some time to Calm Down a little bit. If They are Anxious about other things than try to Work through it with Them as much as You Can. All in all, Anxiety is one of things I hate about PTLS, but I would not give up My PTLS for The World.



Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Find Your Way to Calm Your Nerves!   

No comments: