December 4, 2013

The Christianville Spirit: Monica Miracle-A Year Later


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Fills Your Heart & Lifts You Up
December 4, 2013-TCS # 379

So, Happy December Everyone! I can’t believe I am writing that! It seems like it has come really fast this year since Thanksgiving. But, I Love December so now that is here, I am ready. What also amazes me is that has a Whole Year since The “Monica Miracle.” I remember it very well now after a Year. It started with a Family Friend of Ours named Scott Lerew’s niece had something called Cystic Fibrosis and She had been waiting for New Lungs for Many Years. Well, on The Evening of December 2, 2012, They got the call that They had New Lungs. I remember this because I was checking Facebook, the night of the Annual “Special Friends’ Christmas Dinner” that we go to each year and I saw a post from Scott’s Brother about how they got the call about New Lungs for Monica and they were ready to bring her to The Hospital for a Double-Lung Transplant. I personally, didn’t know that Monica had Cystic Fibrosis but, It really wasn’t my business or I just didn’t ask. Anyway, I remember driving to The Christmas Dinner and Telling My Mom about it and how excited I was about a Christmas Miracle happening (even though I only knew Scott, Not Monica) So, after the Christmas Dinner, we got home and I checked for updates on her and at that time, she was at The Hospital and was waiting for the “All Clear.” By The Time, I was ready to go to Bed that night and it is December 3rd, Monica was going into surgery and The Lerew’s did their final “Goodbyes and I Love You’s” before they took her in The OR. I updated My Mom on that as well, saying, “As We speak, Monica is going into Surgery and Everyone already said their Goodbyes and I Love You’s” After I woke up at 2:45 on December 3rd, I checked Facebook and read The Great News that Monica is Alive, Her Surgery went very well, and She is Okay! Little did I know though, what it was like to watch someone recover from a Double-Lung Transplant. It started with a lot of Wires and Tubes, and over the next several weeks, Monica progressed very well. Scott’s Brother was the one to do all the updating, saying that Monica’s Process was Above Average compared to most Lung Patients. She had to pass milestones like First Time out of Bed, First Walk to The Hospital Room Door, and into The Hallway, along with many other milestones. After about 6 Weeks, it was finally time for Monica to go back home finally. So, Since that Time, Monica has been doing excellent and living a much more Normal Life. She got to be on the News several months ago from WRAL-TV about Her Double-Lung Transplant. She celebrated with a little Party that she referred to as her “One Year Lungiversary” Party. Also, since then, I found out what her “Speciality” is and it is One Thing, Football. Oh No, I’m not just talking about Football I am talking about University of Florida Gator Football. Her Dream, she says, is to move to Gainesville, Florida so she can see all Florida Gator Home Games in what they call “The Swamp” for herself. I would go further to say that I think that She would be a Good Stadium or Radio Announcer for The Florida Gators. I could see her getting really excited if one the Gator Players does what one of the Auburn University players ran the WHOLE FIELD at the end of The Auburn vs. Alabama game last week. Wow! Talk about a Dream Come True for Monica! Now, as excited as we get about Monica’s New Lungs and New Life, We cannot forget about The Donor Family. The Ones who gave Monica new lungs, even unknowingly. It is Sad to think that while Monica is Celebrating her First Full Christmas, They are mourning their First Full Christmas without their Family Member. Sometimes, We forget about all that in all of our excitement about The One getting The Lungs and Not the one who lost the lungs. But, that alone is a Miracle in itself. As far as Monica is concerned, She paid her respects in her own both personally and outwardly. All in all, Christmas Miracles (and, Miracles in General) do happen and If You don’t see it, then as They say in The Movie, Bruce Almighty, “Be The Miracle!”


Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Cherish The Things You Have and Give to Those who have Nothing. Happy Lungiversary, Monica!  





No comments: