January 25, 2012

The Christianville Spirit: Memory Lane Trip


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Opens Your Eyes
January 25, 2012- TCS # 284
So, as most of you know, My Readers, based on what I’ve written many times in this newsletter, that I like to take drives to places. I love to take drives with My Mom to different places whether it’s up the road to see a new neighborhood, drive down a new road, check out new or changed road signs, or update myself on how a road or area is doing. Of Course, sometimes I like to venture out of the city and see what’s out there, which could be anywhere from a drive out a couple miles and then turn back home, or drive out of the city, up to 3 or 4 Hours. So, My Mom and I usually like to do our drives on Saturday. But, this past Saturday, we took a drive that was long-awaited for me, because the fact that it was 2 hours away and it has to do with our history. You see, back in what I call, “The Jeff Era”(or the time when we were living with Mr. Jeff), we had a Lake House that we would go to every now and then during the summer.  This Lake House was nice because it was in a secluded neighborhood in the country, I mean the nearest major city was Wichita Falls, which was around 30 Miles away. Anyway, in the “Jeff Era,” we had a lot of fun at our Lake House. Among the many things we did; we would go hiking up in the hills, spend a whole day out on the lake in our pontoon boat, and drive a go-kart around the yard and a field across the street. Of Course, Mr. Jeff and Michael loved to fish in the pond that we lived on. I, of course didn’t really like that because it looked gooey. Anyway, at night we would do bonfires and during the 4th of July, we would shoot off fireworks. Anyway, back to the drive, My Mom and I drove back to the lake house to see what it looked like now, since we haven’t seen it since the end of “The Jeff Era.” The First thing I noticed, was the street signs were Green with White Letters, when it used to be White with Black Letters. Of Course, The House itself now looks totally different, for example the new owners built a covered patio at the entrance, they also glass-enclosed the screen porch, that we used to love to sit in when it was really hot. The House’s color is now grey, when it used to be a Dark Green color. After we saw the house, then we went on the route we used to get the pontoon boat to the lake and as we drove along the pond, we were shocked at how dry it was and the main lake itself was really dry too. We drove past the 2 boat ramps that we would use and I walked down the one that we used most of the time, to see how dry it was. It was so dry that I could see the mud at the end of the ramp.  After that, we went back down to the main road, back toward the house and saw the changes again a little more up close but, not too close. We also found that the neighbors that we had across the yard from us were still living there. On one of the streets, we saw something amazing. There were water towers and on the 2nd water tower there were Hawks and Buzzards on every railing, lined up shoulder to shoulder, on the tower as well as on top and surrounding it. My Mom and I were so amazed by it that My Mom even took pictures of them. After that, we drove back out of the neighborhood where they still have someone at the manning the post at the front gate of the neighborhood. They have added more to the church and 2 speed bumps on the main road. My Mom and I wrapped up our drive by stopping at the Dairy Queen that we used to go to on the way home.  Yummy ice cream! All in all, we had a fun time reminiscing about all the fun we had at the lake house.
Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. We all have “Memory Lane Trips”. Take one and you might be surprised what you’ll find. 

No comments: