March 26, 2008

The Christianville Spirit: Popi, The Awesome Grandpa


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that touches lives
March 26, 2008- TCS # 95
This is a special edition of The Christianville Spirit because Popi (Grandpa) is in the hospital chasing nurses around. He tells us that he looks like Frankenstein with tubes coming out his neck. You know what I noticed about him, he makes humor and good things about bad situations and that’s what I love about him. But, we all should do that even though it’s hard to make good out of something bad. So, enough about Popi in the hospital; let’s hear about him before he got in the hospital. This first story goes way back to when he was young. When he was young, he had a friend named “Rags” who he would get in trouble with and here is the story in Popi’s words. Take it away, Popi…
In the early days (when I was 8 to 12) my best friend was a guy whose nickname was “Rags”. How that name came about I can’t recall, but anyway we were continually getting in trouble together. Remember, we didn’t have TV or video games, so it was mainly outside play. We had a neat neighborhood with lots of places to hide and do dumb things.
There was a girl our age that lived next door and she was a tomboy and wanted to play with us all the time. Sometimes we didn’t want this but she kept hanging around. At one point we were playing Cowboys and Indians and we set it up to capture her and torture her until she agreed to leave us alone. We did this out behind the garage and tied her to a telephone pole.
Then we came back later and discovered that while she was trying to escape the rope had cut into her leg. When her Dad found out about this he chased me all over the neighborhood. Finally he told my Dad and that was the end of it. We tried to take it easier on her after that!!
There are many stories I could tell about the adventure of Bud and Rags but I think they would be boring now.
As far as the “wanting to become a Dentist” was concerned I had made a small drill and I used to practice on the back of a chair. I’d drill a hole and fill it with putty. One day this same girl came over and asked me to check her teeth. I began to use my drill again, but obviously she was not happy with this. She told her Dad again – the chase began again, my Dad got involved and that was the end of my little Dentist Office. Later in life, when I went to College I actually wanted to become a Dentist. To make a long story short, I had to take Chemistry – I flunked it – the advisor said I’d never make it as a Dentist and I switched my major to Music. I was really happy then.....................
.
Thanks Popi for that funny story. The next major event was him and My Grandma Honey had My Mom, Uncle Craig, Uncle Bruce, and Uncle Brian. From there My Mom moved Ohio, Michigan Maine, and Texas. And, Had My Brother, Michael and I. but, that’s another story and another person. After that, Popi married My Steppi Sue which is his current wife. Later on after My Mom had us, we drove up to Toledo, OH (which is where he lives today) many times with one of the guys My Mom dated named Mr. Jeff. And, of course the one of the most recent great memory of us and him was on Spring Break 3 years ago where he and Steppi Sue took Michael and I up to Northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan in an area called Black Lake. And, also he took us to see the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and took us to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada. Also, we drove across The Mackinaw Bridge and we even ate Ice Cream in the snow. My most favorite part of it was the amount of snow there was there. The last time that I saw him was on Super Bowl Weekend of 2006. Also, he reads and has read all my Christianville Spirits. And, he is so proud that he prints them out and shows them to everyone. And, My Mom and Grandma Honey do the same. All in all, Popi has been and still is an awesome grandpa.

Thanks for reading The Christianville Spirit. People are special whether they have Special Needs or not.

No comments: