May 2, 2018

The Christianville Spirit: Family Emergency in Atlanta


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Keeps Learning with Hope and Resilience
May 2nd, 2018-TCS # 591

Cherish The Ones You Love, My Readers! Yes, This is a Different Greeting and Boy, Do I mean It! This is going to be a Rather Difficult Newsletter because It was Something that I had not really planned on Writing nor, Planned for. You Know, There are Times in Life, When It throws you a Big Curveball at You, like a Coach throwing a Baseball at You to Test Your Attention. Sure, You grab that bat and hit it, But, then, You yell “What The Fettuccine was That For?!”. Yes, Life does that sometimes. Also, Sometimes The Catfish in Life, not always a Fake Catfish, nips at Your Fin hard! So, What am I talking about? Well, Here’s an Unplanned Edition to My Grandma Honey themed Newsletters These past Couple Weeks. So, My Grandma Honey, as I have told you, She lives in Atlanta. Easy to say when Things are Planned and are going Right. It is only a 12 Hour Drive, a 2 Hour flight, and an Hour Difference between us, right? At Least, It is not a 15 Hours Drive or a 3 or 4 Hour Difference. Yeah... Well, What happens when There is a Family Emergency and You have to get there, like 2 Hours Ago kind of Thing. Now, Okay, Knowing Grandma Honey is getting, ahem (Clearing Throat) Younger each Year, It is something that We have to start Mentally Preparing for. Now, This Family Emergency was only a Smidge close to “The Big Emergency”, had we not reacted in Time. You See, Last Saturday, My Grandma Honey was doin’ her thing, going to Her Nail Salon when She started to have a Fainting Spell. They were pretty close to either Calling Security or Calling 911. She figured that It was only Temporary, Something that like A Headache, You can just sleep it off. Now, Whenever Grandma Honey has a Health Problem (She is Very Healthy, by the way!), A Health Question, or Just to Show off Her Daughter’s Talents, She calls My Mom. Minding You here, that We live in Dallas.... Texas. But, She does it anyway and Honestly, We thank God for it. So, Sunday comes and She is not much better, therefore, The Lovely Neighbor, Sarah called 911 and My Grandma Honey’s Favorite Firemen (“Her Boys”, as She calls them); The Ones who She sees at her Waffle House and Pays for Their Breakfasts; They came to Save Her! So, Now, Grandma Honey is in The Hospital at This Point. Both My Mom and I are freaking out wondering What on Earth is going on. Grandma Honey along with Doctors and Nurses, where on The Phone with My Mom every couple Hours with Updates. My Mom grew Tired of This Very Quickly. Medical Things and Distance does not Work! So, A Couple Days Later, My Mom gave me The Option of either Staying Here at Home for an Undetermined Amount of Time, I was thinking either a Minimum of 3 Days and Maximum of a Week or Longer, or We just hop in The Car and Drive out there. So, My Mom got home and Both of us literally Packed within an Hour, and were Out The Door. Now, My Anxiety was Sky High, on Top of The Slime Issue that I had the Last Time I went to Atlanta, Literally Two Weeks before, and Sarah took care of that after We got there, and Of Course, That Fear of Assuming The Worst. I mean, My Neighbor had to go out to Tennessee for Her Mom and She ended up out there for 2 Months. I digress. My Mom and I agreed that It was Better for it to be Nothing and Go to Atlanta rather than Something and We felt Stupid for Not Going. 
Now, Of Course, This “Family Emergency” Drive did not come without It’s issues, The Back Window of Our Car messed up and Luckily, Grandma Honey’s Many Connections over The Years, Her “Car Guy”  fixed it for Us. After We got to Atlanta, She was released from The Hospital later that Evening, Again Thank God for That, because We did not think that We would make it for Her Discharge from The Hospital. So, after that, My Mom and I spent a Week helping her recover as well as Trying to Figure out what was wrong with Her. Her Legs Hurts for about Two Years and She was starting to show Dementia-like Behavior, but We (or at least I) just thought It was just Age. After about a Day, We figured out What was wrong. First Off, at The Hospital, They tested her for Literally Everything and Her Heart and others, Came out Perfect, Very Above Average for Her Youngness. It turned out that It was....Wait for It. Extremely LOW Potassium and Lack of Water. Yes, as in Bananas! Bananas are The Most Well-Known Food that has Potassium along with Avocado, Kale, Baked Potato or Sweet Potato, White Beans, and Brussels Sprouts, to name a few. I struggled with Figuring that out in My Head because I could not understand how Something as Small as Potassium or It’s Brother, Sodium (Salt in Regular English) can cause such a Problem, at least compared to Heart or Lungs, which I am sure The Doctors thought it was. No One except My Mom knew that the Issue was Lack of Potassium and Lack of Water. I mean, Her Potassium Level was Dangerously Low, It could have Killed Her had Her Lovely Neighbor, Sarah called 911. So, after The Stresses of Disaster, like The Window of Our Car or The Testing of The Fire Hydrant, Right next to Our Car, We did lighten up a Little Bit. I think The Most Funny Thing that Watching Grandma Honey try to talk to Her Neighbors, Friends, and Family with The Raspy Voice She got from Her Upper GI. It was Pretty Much a Whisper. It got better over Time though. One of The Best Things that We had over This “Family Emergency” Trip was All of The Love and Concern from Everyone including Her Neighbor Friends; Her and My Mom’s High School Friends; Her Waffle House People (including “Her Boys”); Even My own Readers as well as PTLS Family Members around The World! So, with that said, I Thank You all so much, for The Bottom of My Heart, that You reached out for Concerns for My Grandma Honey. It not only Showed us How Much People care for Her, but, Most Importantly, It is Showing Her just How Much She is Loved. In All Honesty, We should all get to Hear How Much we are Loved, by Friends, Family, Neighbors, even Strangers. Truth be Told, Most People have No Idea and Sadly, They end up Dying and All The Love that should be heard when They are Alive, Ends up Flooding when They can’t hear it. Now, Perhaps, They can hear it in Spirit, but Still. This “Family Emergency” Trip has also showed all of Us, Smith Family and otherwise, How We react and deal with such Events. Like I said, Preparing The Big One. I personally am hoping It does not happen anytime soon. By The Way, If You ever see The Video that My Mom took of Grandma Honey walking, when My Mom says “Boobs Out”, that basically is Our Code to Her to mean “Stand Up Straight”. If You want to Help, Keep in Contact with Her if You know Her. Make Sure that She is doin’ Her Thang as well as Taking Her Potassium and Drinking Water as well. Come to Think of It, We all should Take Our Potassium and Check The Levels Every Once and a while. All in All, It is One of Those Hard Life Lessons that You have to learn. Not just Yell at The Coach for It, but Wonder Why He did that.



Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. When Health throws You Curveballs, Go with It!

No comments: