January 12, 2011

The Christianville Spirit: The Devil Words

The Christianville Spirit

The Spirit that Sparks Your Heart

January 12, 2011-TCS # 232


So, I know many of You are always wondering about what’s life is like for someone who has PTLS, let alone being the one of the oldest and fourth in the world being diagnosed at the time I was diagnosed. Well, I can say that having PTLS(or Potocki-Lupski Syndrome) as with anything, has it’s Perks and Disadvantages. Like for instance, being Happy most of the time, seeing the world with Roses, and being more Special than People with other special needs or “Normals” because PTLs is rare. But, there are disadvantages, like what We’ll call “Devil Words” like the R-Word and the one I’m going to tell you about, the words “Can’t”(as in I can’t, You can’t, We can’t) and “Why can’t”(like Why Can’t He/She do this?). You See, the word “Can’t” and “Why Can’t” are as hurtful to Me as The R-Word. These words hurt me because of their meaning and they demean the fact that I’m unique and they degrade me. Not only that but, it puts one more thing on my list of things I can’t do, which I hardly touch but, it does happen. Like here’s a common one, the fact that“I can’t” Drive and not because I literally can’t Drive, I’m sure I could but, My reaction time is very slow and I love to look at the Road Signs. So, that would make me dangerous on The Road and added to that I wouldn’t be able to guess what the other drivers are going to do. So, around my age, that darn 2nd “Devil Word” comes in, “Why can’t You(or Him) Drive?”. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love to teach people about Me and The Uniqueness I have but, I would rather people not ask in that fashion because it degrades me and everything I stand for. I don’t mind people asking me if I have Special Needs, but If they assume that means “I Can’t” do anything then, it bothers me. I might have different abilities but, we all do things in our own things and some things better than others, Like My strength is Geography. So, give everyone a chance. All in all, Try to stop using the word “Can’t” for yourself and others, it might be you just don’t want to.



Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. Give Can a Chance!

No comments: