April 16, 2008

The Christianville Spirit: The Storm of April 10, 2008


The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that touches lives
April 16, 2008- TCS # 98
Ok, I know it’s supposed to be another person in the “Soundtrack of Your Life” series but, this is a story that requires attention, so here is goes. It happened at around 3:30 in the morning on April 10, 2008. There I was in the middle of sleeping when I was awaken by the loud sound of thunder, our electricity going out, and rain falling outside. The rain outside was coming down hard and the wind was blowing the rain against my bedroom window. Also, I heard noises above me that sounded like the wind was strong. So, I got up and I thought “What’s going on??” So, I walked to the west-angled window in my former bedroom which is now Kathy’s Room and the lightning was flashing so much, it was hard to see what was going on. All I knew was the wind was blowing hard, the rain was being pushed hard on the window, and there was a lot of lightning. So, then I heard My Mom’s Voice calling me to see where I was. And, I told her where I was and she told me we had to TAKE COVER and I asked her why. And, She told me there was one of those circle marker things over us on the radar (by the way, in Texas weather terms, that means there‘s a sign of rotation that might become a Tornado.) By now, I’m thinking “I hope I don’t hear a train-like sound because that means there’s a tornado on the ground” so, My Mom, 3 Dogs, and I sat in a small laundry room for about 30 minutes or so sitting on the pillows My Mom gave us. And, I just sat there shaking because I thought a tornado was going to hit us. The Weather man named Pete Delkus who we were watching on My Mom’s battery-operated TV said the sirens were going off in Allen (which is not to far from us) and there was what Pete Delkus calls sheer markers which are those circle makers I was talking about earlier over us for a while. After 30 minutes, the electricity came on and the storm was over. So, we got out and looked to see if there was any damage and here is what the damage. Part of the fence on the east side of our house was down, the fence on the northwest side was down, the lower part of the door to the outside from our sunroom was damaged by the chair, and the tree between us and our east neighbor fell on his hummer and his house. There was damage all over Plano and I knew by watching the 10 o’ clock news the night before that there was going to be swall line of storms that was going come through at about 3 or 4 in the morning. But, I didn’t know it was going to be this bad. Later that day, I found that National Weather Service called this kind of storm a Derecho. Then, My Mom told me something that was shocked me; it turned out that there was on F1 TORNADO that hit at the intersection right by My House. They say that it skipped going up and down throughout Plano. It hit the elementary school down the street from My House and then it picked up and landed again at the intersection. And, the part that get us the most, the sirens in Plano did not go off. The ones in the surrounding cities of Frisco, Allen, and Carrollton went off but, not here. Now, Channel 8 says that the spotters of The City of Plano didn’t think it was going to be that bad and boy were they wrong. All in all, it was something of a storm.
Thanks for reading The Christianville Spirit. We’ll back with our series next week.

No comments: