March 31, 2010

The Christianville Spirit: Democracy Index

The Christianville Spirit
The Spirit that Inspires You
March 31, 2010- TCS # 192

So, one day I decided to learn more about The European Union because Europe, to me is the most interesting part of the world to me. Anyway, at one point I was reading about European Union International Relations and they mentioned about countries with different governments. Well, that led me to learn about all the different types of Government. And, finally that led me to a list from the author, The Economist called The Democracy Index. The Democracy Index ranks countries to their “State of Democracy“. They put the statistics by five general categories: Electoral Process and Pluralism, Civil Liberties, Functioning of Government, Political Participation, and Political Culture. Anyway, each country is given a score from 0 to 10 and the rank comes with the score. Also, next to score and rank they put one of the countries on the categories of “Full Democracy”, “Flawed Democracy”, “Hybrid Regimes”, and “Authoritarian Regimes”. (By the way, everything to “Hybrid Regimes” is Democracies) So, this is what I found, I’m going to give you to top 5 best; Sweden is 1st with a score of 9.88, Norway is 2nd-9.68, Iceland is 3rd- 9.65, Netherlands is 4th-9.53, and Denmark is 5th-9.52. And, here are a couple others…
Canada: 11th Place
Germany: 13th Place
Austria: 14th Place
Japan: 17th Place
United States: 18th Place
The Very Worst Country is North Korea with a score of 0.86
So, as you can tell these are the Ranks and Scores in the Democracy Index. After reading all of this, I was surprised by the scores because My Country, The United States was a higher score because it’s the democracy leader of the world. So, I wonder why the Europeans are more of a democracy than us. All in all, Each Respective Country has its own government and way of life. And, it’s very interesting to me to learn about.


Thanks for Reading The Christianville Spirit. If you want learn more about The Democracy Index or see where your country, go to wikipedia.org and search “Democracy Index”

No comments: